market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: November 13, 2002

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: November 13, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:51:08 EST

In a message dated 11/14/02 8:27:25 AM Central Standard Time, guldann AT ix.netcom.com writes:

Phil on your 30 acres what do you grown just corn or varied veggies for
farmer's market or ?

About half of this acreage is sweet corn, and I need to increase that for next year.  We do not have a CSA but have toyed with the idea for a couple of years, but we are doing 6 farmers markets a week with two of them on Saturday, we also have had some home delivery on large orders, over $50, which I was really surprised how many orders we did get last year.  We let the customer email us with some of the orders, which really works good.  When we make a delivery I leave a list of items that will be ready next week, then they email us for the next weeks delivery.

I would really have a hard time taking any money before I could supply the produce, we have had too many years that this product or that product had a complete failure.  Two years ago we got some drift from some chemicals that got all the tomatoes, and a lot of other crops just never put out very much after a good dose of Banval drift, this is something I have no control of and it has happened more years not not.  I sure wish that someday we can just get rid this chemical, but they change the name and the formulation of the compound and it just stays around in corn country and keep right on killing.

We  hope to do more work on the home delivery for next year, I've got to make the trip to the City for the restaurants, might as well add a few more stops.  We also are doing about 2 acres for cut flowers which will be increased somewhat for next year but not too sure what all is going to happen there, need to get another building up before spring to get more room first.  Hope the ground doesn't freeze before I can get started, not real easy then.

Phil