market-farming - CSA's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: CSA's
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:39:29 -0500

> Phil: I've always understood that CSAs are designed to "spread the risk"
of
> farming with the shareholders, so in my shareholder agreement I have a
> statement to that effect -- that they understand that the harvest may vary
> due to hail, drought, etc. This was my first year, so I don't know what
I'd
> do if I had VERY little to deliver each week.

Technically, CSAs are "share the farm, share the bounty, share the failure".
It's a fail-safe check for the farmer. It's easier to get this concept
across to a market who also cares about the environment, the farmer,
sustainability, etc. But if your members are there for just the food, then
"subscription" is probably a more apt description.

A friend's CSA did refund money, but half his shareholders refused to take
it--they understood the concept, though he had no written agreement (he does
now). Of the other half, 1/3 of those did not return the following year.
So it's a toss up, whether to refund or not.

Customers should understand it's an investment. If only Wall Street would
give refunds!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield, NC