market-farming - Re: Funding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Funding
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:59:32 -0600

Debbie Ferrell wrote:
> I think I talked to someone once about the young farmers program. Do you
> suppose they have something similar in Wisconsin?
> Anyone on the list live in Wisconsin and have any good ideas for me?

Wisconsin does have the beginning farmer bond program so that you can borrow
money at below market rates. You must have a net worth below $250,000 and
can only borrow a maxium of $250,000 and must be over 18 and a resident of
the state.

A big requirement is that you must have adequate education, training and
experience in the type of farming that the loan will be used for.

Additional information can be found at:

http://www.wheda.com/programs/agricultural/bfb/bfbff.stm

There is a beginning dairy farmer program in Wisconsin. This class can be
accessed through the web from what I understand. Many of the new graziers in
Wisconsin, some of them in my regional grazing organization have gone
through this school. Things are not going well for many new farmers
(including dairy) and for the most part are not succeeding without either
family background or outside money subsidizing the farming operation. A
realistic understanding of the markets is important, but there are success
stories out there.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers
Viroqua, WI

www.mistyridgefarm.com

  • Funding, Debbie Ferrell, 11/10/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Funding, Alliums, 11/10/2002
    • RE: Funding, Debbie Ferrell, 11/10/2002
    • Re: Funding, Willie McKemie, 11/10/2002
    • Re: Funding, Debbie Ferrell, 11/10/2002
    • Re: Funding, Rick Williams, 11/10/2002