market-farming - RE: Ooff Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ooff Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:59:57 -0400

> Try the "No Fault Pumpkin Pie recipe" in Moosewood Cookbook.

The Moosewood Cookbooks are great for ideas. Make your own farmer's market
cookbooks now, before planning and doing start up for next season. (Great
time to do your newsletters too--just add dates, & pertinent info when the
time comes.) Anything you can do now, you'll be thankful for when it's 9pm
& you're harvesting by headlights for a 4am market the next day ; )).

If you make the cookbooks small enough, they'll be cheaper to produce and
cheaper to price to sell at the stand. Also, you can pass them out as
promos (newspapers & radios love them ; )) and as premiums for favorite
customers. Mine were always divided by the month, with a guide as to what
veggies would be available that month, then followed with appropriate
recipes. The recipes were also printed on single card stock, and displayed
with each veggie. When I was able, I'd prepare a recipe & sample it out (of
course, obeying all health dept rules).

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC