market-farming - RE: Ooff Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ooff Topic question - Squash Pumpkin Pie
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:46:03 -0400

I've found that butternut squash makes the best pumpkin pies because it has
more flavor and you don't have to "destring" it.

I halve, deseed and bake it in the oven in a pan with some water in it to
keep the squash moist. I think baking brings out more flavor than steaming
or microwaving.

Try the "No Fault Pumpkin Pie recipe" in Moosewood Cookbook. I make it with
cream when we can get raw milk and use sorghum to sweeten. Outrageous.

And if you do use heavy cream, remember to keep those defib paddles handy!
--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm