market-farming - RE: Organic cost pre and post NOP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Organic cost pre and post NOP
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:03:58 -0500

Rick W.

Ruminants should not be fed, they are designed to forage. Forage doesn't
necessarily mean grass as our cows have quite an assortment of grasses,
legumes, and forbs. My argument is that the rules state that the producer
is responsible for providing adequate untraditional to the livestock, but
doesn't define adequate. Many animal scientists feel we do not provide
adequate nutrition because we don't have an arsenal of supplements. We also
don't require an arsenal of pharmaceuticals either.

Yes, our protocol is more rigid than the organic rules. We do not feel
mandatory vaccination should be a requirement. Prudent use of vaccines may
be necessary under certain circumstances, but mandatory use of
pharmaceuticals goes against the aspect of sustainability.

While I'm at it, I do not see that "better than organic" violates the rules,
but if someone can convince me of that I will change our wording to say
better than all of the other types of beef.

Rick H.