market-farming - Re: Marian Burro's NY Times article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Marian Burro's NY Times article
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:24:18 -0500

Del Williams wrote:

> IThe message in this article is that the new guidelines legitimize organic
> food.
>
> It's the other way around, isn't it? Organic food was already legitimized.

Yep but the people selling it did not take care of it. At least now there is
some sort of chain of custody arrangement and regulations that require the
stores to take care of it better. It used to be we did our part as farmers,
and
the distributors and sellers could contaminate it any which way.
On our farm the regulations are just about too much trouble to continue with
much longer, we grow 200 varieties in 185 beds and have been told to track
seeds, plants, beds, harvest records, in addition to our inputs. I understand
general record keeping for both farming and organic inputs which would include
harvest records. We diversify to the point of having the place look like
plants
were dropped from a helicopter in places. Do I have to give each square foot a
separate identifier number? Apparently so. At the very least the damn grocery
store should be required to segregate my stuff from the fumigated produce from
ecuador or whereever it flys in from.
I wish I could sell everything we grow at markets, but I can't. Our community
will soon have an incubator kitchen and we can do value added inspected
products for wholesale markets. I hope that will add significantly to the
bottom line.

Chris Sawyer
www.jakesfarm.com
www.asapconnection.org