market-farming - certifying agents

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: certifying agents
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:37:36 -0500

GlobalCirclenet wrote:

> VERY interesting. So state certification boards will only be allowed to
> exist as subdivisions of USDA. A further question: would it outlaw setting
> up COUNTY certification programs for organic? Is there anything in the
> states that the feds can't override and outlaw?

Any one that wants to be a certifier has to apply to the USDA for approval.
The USDA maintains a list on the web of approved agents. Every agent can
operate anywhere in the USA. Oregon can hire florida to certify, but be
advised you will have to pay the travel expenses for the inspector. We got
billed mileage and meals because he could make the trip up from Clemson in one
day. We have been inspected two months and still don't have our certificate,
nor do I know if I will get one. I paid them in June 650.00, and another 200
to a lab for water tests on three sources. Get this, the USDA does not tell us
what is acceptable and what is not on the water tests. I have sprayed Zerotol
when it was OMRI approved and it has since been removed from the list because
of a surfactant. They questioned that..told me it would have to be researched.
They fear the federal audits which will be part of the system. Each certifier
will be spot checked and audited regularly.I still am waiting and Monday is my
deadline for Earth Fare and Whole Foods our two mains customers in the
wholesale market.

It used to be the good ole boy system because certifiers were not accountable
to anyone. They could make exceptions at will.

  • certifying agents, Chris Sawyer, 10/16/2002