market-farming - Re: sweet potato propagation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sweet potato propagation
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:18:02 -0400

> In the spring? Approximately when? Potatoes in boxes? On
> benches? On the ground?

My time estimates may be off for you. Check with your local extension agent
for more precise times. We started the potatoes presprouting about
mid-January. Just spread out in the barn on a bench. We used plywood on
top of sawhorses. They stayed here for 3-4 weeks, until planted out in
hotbeds.

> How deep? How close together? What happens if you get a frost?
> Thanks, I'd like to try this, instead of buying slips from Georgia.

Unless you're planting alot, buying slips saves alot of hassle, not to
mention no worry about frosts ; )).

After presprouting in the barn, plant out the potatoes in a prepared bed,
close together. Cover loosely with about 2" of soil. If you cover too
deeply, the potato will rot or you won't get as many slips. Cover the bed
with plastic that's had holes punched in for ventilation, and keep an eye on
it, just as you would a greenhouse, in case of warm temps or frost.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC