market-farming - Sweet potato propagation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Sweet potato propagation
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:25:50 EDT

This has been my first season of growing sweet potatoes. I put in 4 varieties and I am now ready to harvest. My question is in relation to propagation. I would like to plant out the same varieties using the potatoes from the harvest. Has anyone had good results  propagating sweet potatoes from cuttings taken from plants now and over-wintering them, or are slips taken from the potato in the spring the better way to go. Id appreciate hearing the pros and cons of each method.
Thanks,
Denise Cimmarrusti