market-farming - Re: Sweet potato propagation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sweet potato propagation
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:56:36 -0400

Tending to cuttings over winter is too much work, unless you're dealing with
a small amount.

We sectioned off a room in the barn with plastic barriers and put in a
heater. Then we sprayed down the walls of the room twice a day to provide
the humidity. Sweet potatoes like high humidity 90-95%, and temps between
70-85*.

After 3-4 weeks, you can plant them out in ventilated, plastic covered beds
to produce more slips, or keep them in the room, and keep an eye on them.
Bedding them produces more slips, stronger slips, but I wouldn't go to that
much trouble for a few rows.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC