market-farming - Re: horn worms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: horn worms
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:05:06 -0500

Honestly, after that horrible year of hormworm infestation, I was
transitioning to organic... chemical pesticide and fertilizer free.
Focusing more on soil development and general development of growing
conditions.

From seed, to plant start, growing methods, everything.

I haven't had an infestation like that ever again. Maybe a few little worms
but not like that year. Could be due to organic methods. Could be due to
pest cycles.

I have more problems with potato beetles and I did find an organic method
when I participated in some experimental trials that a prof at U Indiana and
another at the University of Illinois organized among Master Gardeners.
Amazing.

No, the worst problem here are the Jap Beetles. To me, worse that corn
worms. This year when they went after the crabapples and my Siberian Elm I
said to hell with it. My Ex sprayed the Siberian Elm with a professional
pesticide a couple years ago... the knockdown was amazing but the
infestation was overwhelming. I went to the second floor of the house to
look at the upper levels of the tree and it looked like a Jap Beetle Berry
tree. That old junky tree is a great shade tree and I would hate to lose
it. But it seemed to do ok. It's probably 50 years old. I swept up a
bushel of dead JP's off the deck alone.

This year, it was as bad as I've ever seen it. Funny though. They left my
organically grown basil pretty much alone. Decimated the basil a few years
ago. I dunno, Jap Beetles... they seem to like what is on my homestead more
than all those soybeans. Damn!

Del Williams
still hoping to be Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL