market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:29:09 -0600

I'll narrow my point a little. We should have our input at the local level
when local decisions can be made under the overall radar screen. But I have
yet to see any actual reports of small independents having any success
against giant corporate agribusiness and lobbies. It would help to keep in
mind that FB does not legislate agricultural or consumer policy, but is
only a small influence on the Big Picture. Our sphere of influence is
basically limited to the level of marketing that the big boys can't do much
to regulate or stamp out, the buying and selling of local produce to local
consumers who want it. I read that motorists in England have been arrested
for using vegetable oil in personal diesel vehicles, supposedly for
avoiding the gasoline tax. I don't know if the day will come when the Food
Police here beat down doors over remors that people are swapping veggies
over the back fence instead of buying from the chain stores, but the more
our local market farming expands the better I'll feel about it.

paul & barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net