market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:04:30 -0400

Paul & Barb wrote:
> And all that Farm Bureau stuff is beside the point when corporate
> agribusinesses have their million$ filling campaign coffers and writing
> legislation. Join any FB you want, but politics is still about money. And
> all that is still pointless debate for market farming. Market farming is
> not commodity production for corporate middlemen. Can't we do without all
> the smoke and mirrors here?
>
> paul & barb - on the continental divide

For those of you that agree with an earlier post (sorry I forgot who it was)
regarding that change comes from within, I agree wholeheartedly.

Why? I am a county FB president, was elected president after one year as a
county board trustee, was selected to participate this year on our state
Policy Development Committee, AND, I/we are Market Farmers.

Yes, agribusiness does have lots of money pushing for it's personal/business
issues. I do not agree with them, and voice my opinion whenever I can.
There are others, as myself, who are at least trying to do something.

Market farming is a business, as is agribusiness. Both are involved in the
political arena. That is where a great number of decisions are made that
impact farming. You can help the team (mf) more by playing on the field
than cheering/jeering from the sidelines.

I do feel this is proper place to discuss such matters.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawab Island, Ohio