market-farming - Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Tillers
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:12:30 -0400

I know, I know, but...

If you hadn't heard before, I'm moving to new ground this fall. This means I've got to move through lots of sod, one way or the other. After several years with a spading machine, I'm pretty happy to think about working with at tiller again. This is not an endorsement of tilling, this is just me saying that what I'm doing with soil will more than compensate for the damage I do when tilling at startup time.

I've been using a troybilt Horse model. It's about had the course, needing a new carb and new tines and, really, a new rearend. For the cost of those repairs, I should get the type of tiller that I should have bought in the first place.

I'm looking at the BCS line. I'm also looking for other recommendations. Someone said GOLDINI, but I'm not familiar with those machines. What else?

Of course, I'm interested in hearing about well-cared-for machines that are for sale.

I'm very interested in hearing of the experiences of others with any of these machines.

My own application is gardening for market in four acres-worth of 'raised beds' in Loudoun County, VA.

Thanks -Allan