market-farming - Re: Borage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: paul id <netdinrat AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Borage
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

Borage:

Actions: Diaphoretic, expectorant, tonic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, galactogogue, nervine.

Indications: Borage acts as a restorative agent on the adrenal cortex, which means that it will revive and renew the adrenal glands after a medical treatment with cortisone or steroids. There is a growing need for remedies that will aid this gland with the stress it is exposed to, both externally and internally. Borage may be used as a tonic for the adrenals over a period of time. It may be used during fevers and especially during convalescence. It has a reputation as an anti-inflammatory herb used in conditions such as pleurisy. The leaves and seeds stimulate the flow or milk in nursing mothers. Borage contains potassium and calcium.

Combinations:

Preparations & Dosage: Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 2 teaspoonfuls of the dried herb and leave to infuse for l0-l5 minutes. This should be drunk three times a day. Tincture: take l-4ml of the tincture three times a day.

Check with herbal merchants... they sell the leaf in capsules for good money.

Borage grows better in better soil...  so no indication of soil condition unless it does not do well in a soil..... then i guess it be poor soil..

 Ron Malor wrote:

Hi All,

I have got borage growing rampant around the house gardens. Planted by
previous owner. Does it have any value? I know about crystallising the
flowers and putting them on deserts. Don't have a sweet tooth and it
wouldn't be a major use anyway. Is it of any use in compost? Is it a sign
of poor soil? Does its root system improve the soil structure? The soil is
chock full of worms and the structure seems fine to me. Heavy winter/spring
rainfall area (62 inches). Should I just dig it out and plant something
more useful? Any comments gratefully appreciated. Eight days into official
summer and it's snowing outside. Which is why I am inside sending this email.

Regards,
Ron...

Ron Malor

'Roslyn Lea'
Scotts Road
South Mole Creek
Northern Tasmania

---
You are currently subscribed to as: netdinrat AT yahoo.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com

  • Borage, Ron Malor, 10/07/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>