market-farming - Re: Borage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Borage
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:20:43 -0400

Ron wrote:

I have got borage growing rampant around the house gardens. Planted by previous owner. Does it have any value?

Borage tastes like cucumber, both the leaves and the flowers. Besides the herbal market, you might want to see if any restaurants are interested in edible flowers -- they look and taste great sprinkled on a salad or used as a garnish.

The leaves get furry when they are older, so lots of folks don't tend to eat them at that point raw. You can add the tiny leaves to your salad mix and it will give the mix a nice flavor. I'd sell the big leaves as a bunch for herbal tea -- print out the uses and directions and see if folks will buy it. The use of borage as an herbal tea seems to be getting more popular -- folks at the community garden are picking our self-sown borage more for this purpose than any other (although I really like putting the flowers in salads!).

Borage appears to self-seed readily (I haven't planted it in about 4 years), but it covers the soil nicely and keeps the pollinators happy and anything that keeps the pollinators happy and doesn't require much care should be left it do its job! :-D

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

  • Borage, Ron Malor, 10/07/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>