market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands | Certification alternatives

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands | Certification alternatives
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:50:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/02 12:20:19 PM Central Daylight Time, lfl AT intrex.net writes:

won't expand to accomodate all new growers in their area because they don't want
competition from them.

Here in our markets anymore we have no new growers,  they are just getting the items they nned form the large grocery store chains and coming to markets and saying they are growing it.  In the past five years I can only find two new growers in our big markets.  There is something wrong with this picture.  This is a little too much work for a lot of folks.  We keep cutting back on some items every year because the market managers will let vendors sell some items at least one month ahead of the actual growing time it takes to develop a crop, melons for example, late May , I don't think so.  Not I Iowa.....

Phil From Iowa