market-farming - RE: Quantities of beef cuts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Quantities of beef cuts
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:44:38 -0500

RDH wrote:
> We have our steaks cut 1" as that pleases more of our customers. Some of
> our round goes into ground.

When I add up the percentages, it seems in line with ours except it seems
that the percentage of roasts that we have is higher. Seems like we are
around 25% roasts by take-home weight when we first started doing this, but
then it increased when we started to have round steak made into round
roasts. This did lower our steak quantities of course.

I just checked the thicknesses of a number of representative steaks and they
are generally around 7/8" from what I can tell. So maybe we do need to
increase the thickness a bit. But then our total count of steaks will be
less. Since we sell by the 1/100 of a pound, that is not a serious problem
except when we try to have a variety of cuts in some packages, it might
become slighly more difficult if you have fewer total pieces to work with.

Our biggest problem is charging to low a price for our on farm packages and
too much for our hanging prices. We may have to rethink that.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers