market-farming - Re: Vehicles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Vehicles
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:47:42 -0500

Willie McKemie wrote:

> One:
> I've been semi-shopping for a high clearance tractor for years. And
> haven't bought one yet.

I have a farmall 140. As tobacco falls by the wayside they are plentiful
and cheap in the piedmont sections of NC and SC. I paid 3000 with
attachments. It makes great raised beds and short work of cultivating
those crops we don't grow on plastic mulch. (potatoes and beans and
onions.)

For a vehicle I found an great deal on an old van that was refrigerated
and used for local milk runs. It is a regular Ford van with a thermoking
unit installed professionally. It was wrecked and I had to go to a junk
yard and find four new doors. All in all I have less than 4000 in it and
that is after body work and repairing the refer unit. It climbs mountains
much better than any deisel would, which I need here. You may be in flat
land and be satisfied with a deisel, but our co-op distributor has a
deisel and they frequently borrow our van to make the Boone run because it
can save an hour or more. Check out ebay for vehicles, they have hundreds.

Chris

  • Vehicles, Willie McKemie, 09/18/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Vehicles, HackettShark, 09/18/2002
    • RE: Vehicles, sunnfarm, 09/18/2002
    • Re: Vehicles, Chris Sawyer, 09/19/2002