market-farming - Harvest Festival

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Harvest Festival
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:00:47 -0700 (PDT)

>We just threw our Harvest Festival last weekend, we also billed it as our
annual crafts fair. We purposely timed it to not coincide with other
events like the Fair, Labor Day etc. and to be after kids are in school on a
weekend which we would normally expect to be dead. We hired a local group
that plays Irish music and encouraged other musicians to play when the band
was not. It was a huge sucess. We doubled our vendors with the extra craft
folk, a problem this time of year since many of our vendors do only early
season plant starts. Many folk who normally just breeze through actually
stayed to listen to music and enjoy their neighbors. Many were in such a
good mood they breezed through a second time and bought double the amount.
Since we are also in the position of defending the benefits of the Market to
the local City Council, we were also able to circulate a Letter of Support
and collect many signatures and email adresses for future use.

  • Harvest Festival, sora, 09/11/2002