market-farming - Re: Selling Pork

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pete and Judi" <corbettj AT computer-products.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Selling Pork
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:22:06 -0400

My customers are paying me $1.50 this year for my pork. Out of that I pay
$20 for shipping of the first pig $10 for any pigs after that on the same
truck(last year I had 4 pigs but had to ship in 2 different lots), $20 for
killing and inspection and $0.32 per pound for cut and wrap. Last year I was
selling for $1.30 including cut and wrap.

For last year my $210 lb pig went for:
$1.30 x 210
$273 per pig
- $102.2 cut, wrap, shipping and killing
= $170.8 per pig

Butcher paid me $1.03 per pound and he is the one who picks up. $216.3 for
the same pig. He was paying everyone else around $0.98 per pound. So I do
get a bit better price as I raise my pigs very differently than most people,
they are pastured, not antibiotics, no medications except worming, all
natural and they have their own garden planted this year to eat as I expand
their area. No having to figure out what he will need for cuts, no chasing
anyone to make sure that they get their orders, no worrying that they will
be there to get the pork, pay the money or nothing!!

If I have smaller pigs than that means a bigger percentage out for shipping
and killing. Unfortunately I have no means of hauling them there my self or
I would do that. I do pick them up and buy them myself, I know some people
don't do that, but smaller pigs can fit into dog crates.

Wow hat a difference. Is your dressed price when you sell individual
packages or ca you actually get people to pay that? I have researched and
found that we have one Pork producer around here selling by the side/dressed
for $1.65 per pound, but the rest of the butchers are selling at $1.50 -
$1.60. Hard to believe the big difference between what you are getting from
the butcher and what you are getting from the customers. My butcher has
asked me to raise pork for him, so that may help, he does not raise any
animals.

Judi Corbett
http://gtigaan.tripod.com - Rabbits, Vermiculture, Herbs, and more
http://drcba.tripod.com/drcba.html - Canadian rabbit and cavy club

  • Re: Selling Pork, Pete and Judi, 09/11/2002