market-farming - Early end to season

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Early end to season
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:46:47 -0400

I just shutdown my roadside markets for the next 4 weeks. I build my business
around sweetcorn, the crop came on almost three weeks ahead due to hot
weather so far 3200 deg. days. 82 day corn matured in 55-58 days per stage.

Just as well because we have been getting almost constant southerly winds
coming up the east coast for two months bringing in corn earworms and beet
armyworms at alarming rates. Normally we see 5 CEW in nightly blacklight
traps. A serious problem begins with 20 CEW but traps this summer have been
getting 120 in most and up to 400 CEW in others. Normally a total 2 ounces of
synthetic pyrethroid per acre is all thats needed to stop earworm for the
whole season, but the chemical breaks down as fast as its applied in very hot
weather so the late crop got wormy, actually every ear had worms.

I made it clear to customers during the last week that all ears had worms,
and pesticides did not work, at my home farm almost nobody cared, as long as
its fresh picked they bought it anyway, but at my Atlantic shore market that
gets mostly city tourists they rejected it...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton,NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/