market-farming - Re: Questions?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Questions?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:34:46 -0400

Get a subscription to Growing for Market. It is the best publication for
the direct sale small farming set bar none. It is worth every penny.
http://www.growingformarket.com
for more info.

I agree with others, that you should intern before jumping in. Market
farming is much much different than home gardening (even a huge home
garden). The hours are long and the work is very very hard and there is
not much money in it. people have very romantic notions about what we do
for a living and like all romantic notions little is based in any
reality. I would advise starting with one or two farmer's markets and no
more than 2 acres in garden and gradually getting bigger. Even with
books and research you will be on a very steep learning curve and you
will make mistakes.

A great book to get is Eliot Coleman's The New Organic Grower. He is
also from main and this book lays out what equipment you need, how to
layout a market garden, etc., etc..

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)