market-farming - RE: Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Questions
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:00:53 -0500

Franklin,

I think Lucy's suggestions and resources ideas are great ones. I would also reinforce the idea of volunteering or working on a nearby farm (even if it's only one day a week!). I would differ on one point. I would highly recommend starting on no more than .25 or .5 acres. Starting any larger is a recipe for disaster because you likely won't have the equipment nor efficient processes in place to manage weeds, irrigate, harvest, and handle the produce (post harvest handling, refrigeration, etc.) from 1 or more acres. Two acres of vegetables is A LOT! My 2 cents (not a lot).

-John

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
Wisconsin School for Beginning Market Growers
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive; Madison, WI 53706
608-265-3704
www.wisc.edu/cias

  • RE: Questions, John Hendrickson, 08/13/2002