market-farming - Oriental eggplant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Oriental eggplant
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:45:46 -0400

Hi, Folks!

The big advantage to Oriential eggplant that I've found is that you don't have to peel the skins -- just chop up the eggplant and add it to whatever you are cooking. You might want to pick them on the small side, but I haven't had a bitterness problem with the varieties I've tried even when they are larger.

If I have too many eggplant, I dice them (with skins on) and roast in the oven, then bag for the freezer. They don't mush down if they have been roasted, they have a *great* flavor and they are already chopped up so you can add them to any dish and even folks who don't like eggplant don't realize they are there -- most folks just think they are mushroom bits! ;-D

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of