market-farming - Re: Shredded paper for compost??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Shredded paper for compost??
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 17:11:05 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/2002 10:29:33 PM Central Standard Time, cross-r-ranch AT juno.com writes:

Sure you can - wet it down first, though - soak it for a while till it's
good and wet, then squeeze out handfuls till they are about as wet as a
damp sponge.  Toss 'em in the compost heap/bin, and mix 'em in when you
aerate the pile, or let the worms do the job for you.  (Me, I have
redworms who do all the aerating for me, lol.  I'm a LAZY gardener, hee!)

Yes, in vermicomposting the paper will be great!  But in a true compost pile..one that contains only "microherd" the paper is like eating.....well, paper.  The microbes prefer something with substance and provides them with some nurishment.
so, if you have a true compost pile, use the shredded paper to mulch around plants on your farm- that way the worms can get it first...and when they are done with it they can pass along the "better stuff" to the microherd in the soil.  Still a great way to use shredded paper.
HTH
Barb
Oak Camp Herb Farm