market-farming - Authentic Food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robokopp AT acronet.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Authentic Food
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:23:05 cst

Hi,

I am not a big fan of the government owning the word organic. (Is this perhaps
why Organic Gardening magazine had to change their name to OG?)

As a small, uncertified organic grower, I agree that customers should be
allowed
to see where (and how) the food was produced. However, turning our back on a
known word "organic" and replacing it with something else is detrimental.

Seems to me if we get on this ride, we will be changing terms every couple of
years as they get co-opted by the "big guys".
First it was "farm fresh", now "organic", then "authentic food", then "locally
grown". This will only confuse the public at large.

Is it possible to work within the Federal system and get them to amend the
Organic
Rules to include distances to market, less bureaucratic red tape, and anything
else that is objectionable?

For the mouthpiece, couldn't the Organic Trade Association, OMRI, OCIA, and
MOGFA (and whoever else) push for this at the Federal level? After all,
shouldn't
we be happy that organic practices are becoming more popular, even if it is
a paperwork nightmare?

One last request: Mr. Coleman, rather than e-mailing you privately, could we
begin a dialogue here on hoophouse tips, specific cultivars for fall planting,
etc.?

Regards,

Richard Kopp
Nature's Bounty