market-farming - Re: re bunching chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: re bunching chard
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:43:00 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2002 12:02:58 PM Central Standard Time, mckemie AT austinfarm.org writes:

Please tell us what you know about sealed bags being illegal

Del;  here in Iowa if you seal a product it comes under the same rules as a value added product,which must have labeling and health dept OK, which means a certified processing kitchen or what ever licences they require.   I saw one vendor get in trouble over selling potatoes in 5# bags.  They made him poke holes in the bags so they were not clasified as a sealed product.   A little silly but I can't do anything about the state rules through the health dept.  That is the reason I'm looking for bags with holes in them.

Phil from iowa