market-farming - Re: Farmers market newbie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret Wilson" <booldawgs AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers market newbie
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:31:59 -0800

Hi,

I have been lurking on the list for a few days. I am very impressed
already. I will soon be relocating to Southwestern Oregon. We have property
there that was a former cattle ranch. I have been an avid gardener whenever
I have lived where I could. I gardened and sold vegies, eggs and goat
cheese in the San Francisco area many years back.

It will be at least a year before I can get into market-farming. I really
don't want to have to work in town. The place is finally paid for so I
should be able to make enough money without an outside job. I have been
getting ready for this for years. We have a small herd of cows, 25 sheep
and 30 chickens. We have a small Kubota tractor with a rototiller, brush
cutter, and scraper blade.

The first thing on my agenda is self-sufficiency and the marketing will come
next. I plan on putting in fruit and nut trees, asparagus and other things
that take a while to produce first. A year will give me an idea of what
and where my market will be.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Margaret (back to lurking)