market-farming - Re: Farmers market newbie/herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: S & S Aqua Farm <snsaquasys AT townsqr.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers market newbie/herbs
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:13:11 -0600

At 08:45 AM 01/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Adriana and list, Thanks for the suggestion. I think this could be good in
>the early summer when other harvests are lean. I ordered quite a few basils
>this year, cinnamon, lemon etc. I dug up my lemon grass so didn't order any
>more seeds maybe I should that would look good in a pot.

Beth - Lemon grass - If you can get some going, we've found it to be a good
seller, both because it's used in Thai dishes, and because it's an
attractive addition to an herb garden or in various landscaping scenarios.

I haven't read the other comments from today, so don't know what other
suggestions you've received. I tried to pull up my sister's primary
website, but see that she's let it go. There is a piece of one of her older
sites so you can see a little of the variety she was growing. It's at
http://users.townsqr.com/herbin/index.htm

I think she and her son were carrying around 50 varieties of scented
geraniums last year, and those are good sellers for along walkways, etc.
People (read customers) are so surprised at the different scents from the
various types, and of course each has its own precious small flowering
habits. Just what you need - something else to complicate your plans :>)

My husband said
>what about veg. seedlings and while I will think about it, late June is a
>little late for the customer to be planting. Maybe a med. size tomato or
>pepper etc plant would be ok for them to transplant. I suppose some flowers
>would grow ok planted at that date?

Lots of customers here (south central Missouri) won't even plant tomatoes
until they are POSITIVE we're done with frosts, so larger tomato plants do
sell at the point here as well. There's also the gardener with the "perfect
plan" garden that loses a plant or two for whatever reason and wants
something close to the size of the rest of their plants.

Paula Speraneo

  • Farmers market newbie/herbs, Hook Family, 01/20/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Farmers market newbie/herbs, S & S Aqua Farm, 01/20/2002