market-farming - Re: Farmers market newbie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers market newbie
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:11:44 -0600

Beth - something I did last spring to help those thinner times was to make
soap. We'd made it for ourselves and given it as gifts but never sold it.
I use the glycerin base so I'm not messing with lye and all - its literally
the melt & pour method. My customers love it and I sold $800 worth last
year - which isn't bad as a small sideline. It doesn't take much time and
can be done like once a month or so. If you want more info let me know - I
promised Phil (from Iowa) more info too when we met at a grower's conference
in Missouri.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas