market-farming - Re: Veggie transport to market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BRBF" <chapis1 AT bright.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Veggie transport to market
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:11:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim and Julie Vaughn" <jjvaughn AT juno.com>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 6:53 AM
Subject: [market-farming] Veggie transport to market

> Our question is about transporting tomatos to the market. We used
> seedling flats this year, but need something stackable and with more
> capacity. We had thought about bread trays if we can find them. Any
> suggestions/comments.
>
> thanks

Jim,
We use shallow plastic storage boxes made for under the bed storage. They
hold a single layer of large heirloom tomatoes, have a lid and can be
stacked securely. The one problem is the cost. We were able to find good
sales on them in the winter. All our sales are made from the farm these
days but the boxes are great in the walk in cooler.
Lyn Chapis
Beam Rd Berry Farm