market-farming - Re: Veggie transport to market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <miranda3 AT optonline.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Veggie transport to market
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:58:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----

> Alison,
> Could you line the supermarket boxes with unbleached paper towels, or
> some other paperlike substance to protect against contamination?

Jill,

A lot of the pesticides used in the boxes are in a form that volitizes.
The glue in many boxes off-gases. If you're certified, you certainly can't
use boxes like this, but you wouldn't want to, anyway. You can buy boxes
that aren't impregnated with pesticides, but they are pricy. I agree with
Alison--organic grower's associations could do a huge service by organizing
a way for farmers to buy boxes in bulk.

Miranda Smith