market-farming - Re: Johnson Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Johnson Bed Shaper
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:05:12 -0500

Allan,

Sounds like you're talking about a hiller, not a bed former.

And the primary reason for tillage is to incorporate air space in the soil.
This air space takes up some room and is why the volume of soil in a given
increases, giving you a "mound." This is then shaped into whatever
configuration for a bed.

The friend in GA with the shaper incorporated into his spader is farming GA
red
clay and he gets some increase in soil volume, though not as much as I do in a
sand and silt loam.

Sorry you're not coming to the SSAWG conference. It sounds like you and Ed
may
have similar soil types. You could see how he manages his clay soil for
permanent beds that now require very little tillage.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm