market-farming - Re: Veggie transport to market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Veggie transport to market
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:23:26 -0600

We have used 20 lb tomato boxes we bought years ago and kept from year to
year. Of course, you can't put three layers of ripe tomatoes in them, but
we can usually put two layers (except for really fragile ones) and they
stack nicely in the truck bed. The problem is that we have run out of boxes,
waxed produce boxes too, and need new ones. But we don't need pallet loads
of them, and as organic growers, we can't re-use the ones from the
supermarket because of possible contamination. This is one place a regional
group of us would be useful - buying boxes cooperatively.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com