market-farming - Re: Dock in pasture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <miranda3 AT optonline.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dock in pasture
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:44:10 -0400

Dock has a really long taproot, so flaming is not effective unless you repeat it at close intervals--everytime it sprouts some new leaves, you burn them out. The idea is the same as mowing every week to 10 days for the whole season: eventually the roots run out of stored nutrients and the plant actually dies.

I doubt that boiling water would work well, again because of the long tap root.

I don't know if you can sell other kinds of dock root, other than burdock. Harvesting it is a challenge. So much so that most of the people who sell it grow it in nice loose soil so they can dig it easily.

Miranda Smith