market-farming - Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:56:14 -0400

The idea of supporting the Afghan people - most of whom hate the Taliban
as much as we do - is a good one.

However, we should not open the door to exploitation by corporate
America. In other words, we should change our usual approach to
"developing" nations. We need to respect their traditions, realize that
indigenous peoples do not need to be converted to our economic system,
and forget, for the nonce, about traditional commerce. Supporting the
populace is one thing; converting them, another.

And Jill's idea about the World Court fits into my thinking about
holding a new set of Nuremburg trials. Bomb and assasinate selectively
- okay. But we do need to protect and shepherd the innocent.

My two cents, too -

--
Robert Farr
(540) 668-7160