market-farming - Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Amer Shaaban" <ashaaban AT home.com>, "Pierre Kerbage" <pkerbage AT networklogistic.com>
  • Subject: Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:29:35 -0500

What started it all...

> Tim Bowser <timbowser AT earthlink.net> Forwarded this
> Instead, bomb Afghanistan with butter, with rice, bread, clothing and
> medicine. It will cost less than conventional arms, poses no threat of
> US casualties and just might get the populace thinking that maybe the
> Taliban don't have the answers. After three years of drought and with
> starvation looming, let's offer the Afghani people the vision of a new
> future. One that includes full stomachs.

Well if we bombed them with enough BUTTER their arteries in time will harden
and they will die.

Since that will take too long in achieving the objective of making these
cowards 'assume room temperature' and the quicker the better, we have THANK
GOD the finest military in the world.

We are not at war (or going to be very soon) with the Afghan people we are
at war with the Taliban and a few who have prosituted the Koran for their
own power and delusional ideals and have appointed themselves leaders of a
scared and hungry people. Just across the boarder in Pakistan there are over
2 million Afghan refugees itching to take their country back.

<snip>
> In responding to terrorism we need to do something different. Something
> unexpected..something that addresses the root of the problem. We need
> to take away the well of despair, ignorance and brutality from which the
> Osama bin Laden's of the world water their gardens of terror.

The Osama bin Laden's that created this horror were well educated, well
trained and well financed. These cowards weren't from shanty towns living in
squalor. The Taliban leadership aren't starving in some cold cave (just
yet!) These cowardly terrorists were successful because they weren't hungry
and poor, they were successful because they were well educated and came from
good backgrounds able to learn. We must separate these terrorist from the
typical 22 to 27 year old loser with nothing to live for recruited to strap
to bombs to their body and set it off in a pizza parlor in downtown
Jerusalem and the well fed highly trained, highly motivated criminal that
slammed these planes filled with innocent civilians into buildings and the
ground.

About what has happened....In America our initial inclination is to think of
terrorist acts as isolated, individual crimes. We ask 'how we can improve
airport security?' or 'How we can tighten border security?' 'How we can
obtain airtight evidence against perpetrators?'

But all these things are beside the point. There is no way we can protect
innocent people in a free society from this kind of terrorism. We can never
be safe as long as people exist with the will and capacity to commit such
acts. The only way to protect our civilization is to destroy these people.

In Afghanistan, women are confined to their homes except for
government-approved excursions or when accompanied by a mahram - a
prescribed male member of their immediate family. The consequences of
disobedience are dire.

"When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think
Hitler. And when you think 'the people of Afghanistan' think 'the Jews in
the concentration camps.' It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing
to do with this atrocity. They were the first victims..."

To act, we do not need airtight evidence. We need only the reasonable
certainty on which any great nation is justified to act when it is at war.
Destruction of terrorists and the governments that have aided and harbored
them will teach a needed lesson to anyone contemplating similar attacks on
the United States in the future. Failure to destroy them will teach a
different lesson-that you can help terrorists wreak terrible violence on the
United States and suffer nothing in return.

That is, after all, the lesson that terrorist states have heretofore been
taught. Our failure to destroy Saddam Hussein in 1991 left him free to bring
tyranny to his people and sponsor terrorism against us. Our treatment of the
bombings of the Khobar Towers, the embassies in Africa, and the USS Cole as
matters of criminal justice has left the terrorists and their state sponsors
free to strike again.

This is not about the critics of American policy. Policies are the work of
human beings. They can always be criticized. This is about purpose. It is
about faith in the basic good of this country. It is about those who have
declared war on America.

Our task is to continue our efforts to strengthen the foundations of this
great democracy of ours, to win the hearts and minds of those who are in
America, but not yet of it, not yet for it.

This is going to be a different kind of war. Sure there will be some
spectacular T.V. footage of bombs exploding but that will be rare. This war
is going to be waged in the bars and back alleys of far away lands in the
back offices of banks from Switzerland to South America and yes some will be
in our backyards.

I say we should try bombing them BUTTER. If that will help I'm for it. Let's
just make sure the BUTTER is packed full of CLUSTER BOMBS because waiting
for them to have a heart attack will take too long.

America's greatness and the freedom you know is only temporary... As long as
we are ready to defend ourselves and our way of life will freedom live,
FOREVER.

May God Bless These United States of America !!

With Regards and Respect to all on this list,

Kevin Ancell