market-farming - Re: increasing market attendance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mm" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: increasing market attendance
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:42:22 -0500

Thanks for your response, Jay. Following are answers to your questions.

> 1.) How many farmers are currently participating in the market?
Approx. 85

> 2.) How often is the market held?
> 3.) What are the market hours on the day it is held?
Tues,Thu, and Sat; 8:30am opening
Wed; 4:00pm opening (new and on a trial basis as of late June 2001)

> 4.) Are only local farmers eligible to participate?
> 5.) Are only locally grown crops allowed for sale?
It is a growers-only market and local (about 7 surrounding counties)

> 6.) What is the size of the average crowd currently patronizing the market?
Oh boy, I don't have the numbers. I'll try to find out. I would guess in the
500 range, but, I may be way off. I do notice many people get out of their
car, go straight to a specific vendor or two, and don't really spend much
time browsing.
In my previous market experience as a patron, which was in another state 3
years ago, it was more of an 'event' and people spent more time browsing over
the goods. There seemed to be more of a crowd.

> 7.) How long has the FM been in business?
Not sure, but, at least five years.

> 8.) Where in the town is the market held?
At the parking lot of the only mall in town. Unfortunately not facing either
of the 'main drags', but near a side entrance. We pay nearly $10,000/yr to
lease this space from the mall.
(It is located in a Midwest town of approx. 150,000.)

> How near is the next town?
There is nothing near the size of this town for 100 miles or more.

> How near is the next Farmers' Market?
There is at least one other, smaller market, in the older downtown area.

Hope that provides some insight.
Thanks again,
MeLani