market-farming - Re: What to do with Edame?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What to do with Edame?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:16:35 -0400

They will be ready to pick when the majority (about 80%) of pods are
full. If the plant is turning brown or yellow it may be too mature. The
trick is to catch it before it turns yellow. What variety did you plant?
There are green and yellow varieties and the yellow variety will not be as
bright of a green as the green variety.
When we harvest soybeans we cut the whole stalk and make a pile. You can
either sit and pick the pods or sell in a bunch left on the stalk. The
latter is bulky but less time consuming. I never shell the pods- with
soybeans they must be cooked or steamed before the bean is released from
the inside of the pod.
Hope this helps.
Sue