market-farming - WIC program and herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mm" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: WIC program and herbs
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:15:14 -0500

Are any of you familiar with the WIC process? Perhaps you can shed some light
on this for me.

I have been accepting WIC coupons through our farmers market for the last two
years. This year, however, the WIC regulations limited the type of culinary
herbs that WIC participants may purchase with their coupons.
The "Approved Edible Herbs" are; Basil, Chives, Costmary, Dill, Marjoram,
Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Salad Burnet, Savory, Tarragon, and Thyme.

I am extremely curious as to why there are limitations, and why these
particular herbs? Some herbs which are very popular for ethnic foods (such
as Epazote, Cilantro, Lemon Grass, etc, etc) are not included.

(BTW, Now I understand the anger of fellow growers when they are told WIC
coupons cannot be used for pumpkins.)

Thanks,
MeLani Maysenhalder
Dunsmuir Herbs