market-farming - Re: WIC program and herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary & Sarah Rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WIC program and herbs
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:19:54 -0500

The WIC program is a nutritional program geared to providing low income
children and pregnant and nursing mothers with fresh nutritious food. There
is only a limited amount of funds available and they are trying to get the
most value for their money. Here in Texas herbs were not allowed for
several years because they felt that the nutritional value versus cost of
the herbs ratio was lower than that of other produce & fruit. After
petitions by farmers it was changed. On our allowed list it simply says
Herbs (fresh). If you want to change the listing you need to speak to your
state WIC people and emphasize the nutritional needs and benefit. For
example allowing epazote would encourage the participant to buy other
produce that they would use the epazote to season.
However it will not be changed this year. The federal funding comes up
every year in January and the state programs are organised around the
funding so that is when the change would occur. But you could start your
campaign to change it now.
As to the pumpkins, I don't know about your WIC customers but I can pretty
well guarantee that if any of our WIC customers bought pumpkins they would
be made into jack'o'lanterns not eaten and I suspect that is the reasoning
behind not allowing them.
As to not allowing the CSA, Each participant is only given a set amount of
coupons per year, here it is $14.00. The idea is that they are to go to the
farmers market weekly and purchase fresh produce and hopefully encourage
them to continue this after their coupons are used up. With the CSA they
would use all of the coupons up in one week and assuming your shares cost
more than $14.00 would not get a whole share or would have to pay the
difference. Asking the participant for cash money is not part of the deal.
You might do better by setting up a special deal where participants would
get a $6 or $8 bag (the coupons are in $2 increments) that you delivered to
the WIC office. But again the purpose is to get the participants to eat the
fresh produce they purchase and they have a tendency to be wary of foods
they are not familiar with. But again if you wnat to be part of the program
you need to petition the state as to the benefits of your situation. But
not all countys are a part of the program and just because the state
participates doesn't mean your county does.
Sarah Rowland
Hairston Creek Farm
Burnet, Texas.