market-farming - Re: sprouts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: sprouts
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:19:18 -0700

From: "Cassie Roth" <casroth AT 9plus.net>
is there any special way to sanitize the sprouts? a special soaking
solution etc?

Hi Cassie, my folks were looking into starting a sprout company. They had to use sterilized equipment and packaging as well as filtered water. The establishment had to be inspected by the Health Board and Fire Department, as well as meet Ministry of Food and Drug requirements. The building they were looking at leasing was made of cement and steel, no wood. I imagine after you get all the red tape done it is quite a profitable business as turnover is quick. Jacqueline