market-farming - hot compost (from Alex McGregor's thread)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: hot compost (from Alex McGregor's thread)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:21:33 -0500

Hey Alex...great stuff....since you don't have manure, how do you get your Hot Compost hot?  I have some manure (goat, chicken duck, rabbit & turkey) but not enough to get my compost really cooking (leaves & barn litter which is straw and hay)...
or it could be i am not managing the N that I do have (sigh)

Do you really think that BD preparations (and which ones) can help a cold compost give some of the benefits of hot compost....if I am following

.i am feeling guilty about giving my vegetables only cold compost!   thanks

p.s. i know you are really busy with the veggies, so i can wait for answers till winter (hah!)...

nan j.
dancing goats farm
mississippi   zone 7B