market-farming - Re: New Farmers' Mkt and new farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New Farmers' Mkt and new farmers
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:19:18 +0000

On Thu, 31 May 2001 09:00:12 -0400, Amy K. Johnson wrote:

The market has has a couple of stories in the paper already with another
one in the works. We also have a little column in the paper (a weekly
paper) that lists what will be at the market that week, of course it's
usually hidden in the paper. I would like to do radio if we can get a
freebie PSA, but our committee member who has gotten the chamber to put up
$ for advertising doesn't like using radio (feels its ineffective). I will
be talking to him today about the direct mailing.
<<<<

Amy,

Please help us out with some more specific facts:

1.) How many days per week is your market currently operating?

2.) How big are the towns where the two larger competing farmers'
markets take place and how often do they have market days?

3.) How long have the other farmers' markets been doing business?

3.) If you tally a weeks traffic, how many people total show up,
excluding multiple counts of the same person? (This is important.)

If you don't have a lot to offer, advertise what you have, whether it
be the bedding plants, hydroponic tomatoes, the baker's bread or
the free range eggs.

BTW, radio is not particularly for PSAs. If you use radio, advertise
specific facts, i.e., you are open now, today's market features
bread, etc.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming