market-farming - Re: New Farmers' Mkt and new farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mckemie AT inetport.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New Farmers' Mkt and new farmers
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:00:53 -0500

> We are going to do a direct mailing using lists from a committee member
> who has them on his computer as part of his business, postage will be paid
> by the Chamber of commerce and we are going to include a 10% coupon with
> the mailing. So that should help sales without too much trouble.

Snail mail mailouts are horribly expensive. You might try reaching
your customers with email. The problem is getting them to sign up for
your email list. Personal contact and writing down email addresses is
best, but slow, tedious, and prone to error. Best is with newspaper or
other mass media that tells customers how to sign up online. Once you
get an interested customer hooked, you can remind him of the market just
before every market.

> It is my feeling that the one thing that really hinders our market right
> now is a lack of experienced farmers. All but 2 vendors are pretty much
> new to selling at a farmers' market, and these 2 only come on Wednesday.

You may be looking for short term solutions where long term ones are
needed. Your market will attract new producers when word gets out that
sales are hot. You will attract new customers when word gets out that
product is plentiful and high quality. Chicken or egg? It's a problem
we all face. Some markets get started with a bang, a lot of media, a
lot of customers, a lot of supply. Others start slow and build both
supply and demand. Unfortunately, some start slow and then die. My
experience is that newspaper stories (not advertisement) is the key.
But, you don't want too many customers until you have sufficient
supply.

Setting a good example can train your competitors. They will emulate
what they see working well.

Although it may be too late for this advice, I recommend attempting to
concentrate your business; don't have an all day market when there is
only one hour worth of sales. Don't have a two day a week market when
there is only one day's worth of sales. Customers like to rub elbows
with one another and are happiest in a crowd. Don't ask me why, but
it's true. It's easier to expand hours of a good market than take a
market that is too long and make it good.

> Our market allows for reselling of produce but only if sold by someone who
>
> What do ya'll think?

Don't allow reselling under any circumstances.

--
Onward! Through the Fog!
Willie