market-farming - Re: 101 Uses for a used shower curtain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robin Cheney <rpc25 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 101 Uses for a used shower curtain
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:30:18 -0400

We ended up using the plastic that professional painters use to protect the
floor and furniture, similar to a shower curtain in strength, as a floor
protector for starting seedlings indoors and for the wheatgrass that we
grow indoors for juicing. It allows for quick easy clean up -- pick it up,
hose it down, let it dry and reuse. My husband is the county recycling
coordinator and I guess the painters throw tons of this stuff away. Most of
the time there is very little paint on the plastic. We have been trying to
put it to good reuse.

If the shower curtain is clear you could use it with some old hangers to
protect and insulate young transplants.

You could also make a bag out of it, with staples, glue gun or by other
means, and use it to store winter bed linens and/ or clothing.

I use a a plastic shower curtain as a curtain in our pantry. Our pantry is
just a bunch of set back shelves in the kitchen. So I got one of those
springie curtain rods and an old shower curtain and viola' all the food is
neatly tucked away.

This is a great post! My husband is always trying to think of new ways to
get people to reuse things before they recycle them. Wouldn't it be great
if county recycling programs put out a booklet on 101 ways to recycle all
kinds of things! Hmmm, there is an idea....