market-farming - Re: harlequin bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: harlequin bugs
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:23:57 -0700

From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
OK Folks....they're back, they're back..the harlequin bugs, on my overwintering brassicas....last year they skeletonized everything from sunflowers to eggplants.....

What to do? I am going the organic route, and still learning .....

Hello, we used Safer's product last year "Trounce", it is certified organic. It was good on harlequin bugs, colorado potato beetle and aphids (although we didn't spray for aphids they just happened to be there). It didn't work too well on hornworms. It is costly if you need to spray much but it is effective. We went through one pint bottle that we had purchased to spray our sour cherry trees with to keep out the worms, it was pretty effective with that too. Jacqueline