market-farming - harlequin bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: harlequin bugs
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:32:30 -0500

OK Folks....they're back, they're back..the harlequin bugs, on my overwintering brassicas....last year they skeletonized everything from sunflowers to eggplants.....

What to do?  I am going the organic route, and still learning (since we never even had these guys in mass. but tons in miss.)......any homemade sprays that work for hard bodied insects....i have small area to cover (not acres and acres) so could accomodate all suggestions...

i am working on balancing my soil, etc., planting beneficial attracting herbs and flowers, etc....but meantime, i am mighty nervous.

also, aphids have attacked my spring kale transplants.....my understanding was that an excess of nitrogen attracted aphids but I am not convinced that my clay subsoil has nitrogen excess (did not spray with fish emulsion, either)..but at least aphids seem easier to deal with since soft bodied!

i let the ducks in but they are not as focused on harlequin bugs as I am....though they did keep the winter lettuces trimmed down to size, bless their little hearts!

thanks so much for any help

nan at dancing goats
n. miss....zone 7b